Personae, the athletics management division of the Golazo group, will represent no less than 24 athletes in this year?s World Championships in athletics, starting this Friday in Beijing. It?s the largest group of athletes ever competing under Personae guidance in a major championship event.
Furthermore, the group has more international character than ever before, with Belgium-based Personae representing eight of the 20 selected Belgian athletes (Milanov, Zagre, and Hannes, among others), as well as 16 athletes from five additional countries.
Of the 7 Kenyan athletes in the group, Isiah Koech (bronze medalist in the 5000m at ’13 World Championships in Moscow) and Virginia Nyambura (three-time winner in steeple on this year’s IAAF Diamond League circuit) are medal candidates, while others to watch out for include Kenyan sprinters Mike Mokamba (100m and 200m) and Alphas Kishoyan (400m). The success of these newcomers to the Personae group originated with program director Marc Corstjens’ decision to not only focusing on middle distance and distance athletes as in the past, but also to provide coaching and training facilities for other events, such as the sprints.
With steeplechasers Mitko Tsenov of Bulgaria and Gesa Krause of Germany, Personae represents two of the biggest European talents in this discipline as well.
Team Personae for Beijing:
- 100m: Mike Mokamba (Ken)
- 200m: Mike Mokamba (Ken)
- 400m: Alphas Kishoyan (Ken)
- 800m: Ferguson Rotich (Ken) – Alfred Kipketer (Ken) – Abraham Rotich (Brn)
- 1500m: Pieter-Jan Hannes (Bel) – Dawit Wolde (Eth)
- 5000m: Isiah Koech (Ken) – Albert Rop (Brn) – Bashir Abdi (Bel)
- 10000m: Bashir Abdi (Bel)
- 3000sc: Mitko Tsenov (Bul) – John Koech (Brn) – Nelson Kipkogei (Brn) – Jeroen D’Hoedt (Bel)
- 400h: Michael Bultheel (Bel)
- Discus: Philip Milanov (Bel)
- 100h: Anne Zagre (Bel)
- 400h: Axelle Dauwens (Bel)
- 10000m: Betsy Saina (Ken) – Almensh Belete (Bel)
- 3000sc: Gesa Krause (Ger) – Virginia Nyambura (Ken) – Ruth Jebet (Brn)
- Marathon: Eunice Kirwa (Brn)